Thursday, October 30, 2014

Challenging Racism, Privilege and Denial in the Age of Obama : Reflection

In the speech Challenging Racism, Privilege and Denial in the Age of Obama by anti-racism activist Time Wise, talks about how no matter what you say, do or think, racism is always there. It's a main topic that we have discussed in class. When  I heard Tim talk I automatically thought of our readings: An Indian Father's Plea, Aria, White Privilege, Why Can't She Remember That?, and Privilege, Power and Difference.

When he started describing one of his experiences when he was traveling to Iowa in 2004 I couldn't help but laugh a little with him. He stated that when he travels he always looks into the cockpit to see the pilot for reassurance. When he looked in he saw that the pilot and co-pilot were both African Americans, and was in total shock. I personally was shocked too! I travel a lot during the summer and I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to witness such a cool thing. What he described was that even though he was against racism, the first thing that popped in his head when he saw them was "oh god, I hope everything on this flight turns out okay." Seconds after he realized what he thought, he completely shut down the idea and thought "NO. These people had to work 2X harder then the rest of the White classmates they had, that they knew better." This is so true, regardless if you are colored, or white, you by accident think stereotypical things. It's your job to not display it and be rude. We live in a diverse country from people all over, our family members perhaps are from different parts of the world. We need to embrace peace and love, we need to be accepting. How would you feel if the role was reversed and it was happening to you?

How many of us have caught ourselves thinking stereotypical thoughts? How many of us realize that we need to hear or see something 11 times until we think "Hey I need that" or "That's so true."













http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/08/eight-more-things-you-didnt-know-are-racist/

http://thoughtcatalog.com/erin-cossetta/2014/04/quotes-that-perfectly-explain-racism-to-people-who-dont-see-color/

4 comments:

  1. This was an awesome reflection of the video. And what you said about having a diverse country is definitely something that is more evident in today's world and people need to accept it. Our country has changed ethnically in so many ways since its beginning and if people refuse to change the way they think, we will never have peace throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the reflection you had on the video! When I read through the second link you posted I began thinking about that video we had watched in class about the discrimination with the blue and brown eyes. The fact that people pretend not to see color is ridiculous and just proves how scared they are to be viewed as racist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you connected with the video, and I loved the link to the quotes about racism and not seeing color. That really relates to the fact that many people may not think of themselves as racist, but they don't even understand what racism is and how they benefit from white privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately thought about the blue and brown eyed video when I read this! I really loved it!

    ReplyDelete