In Speaking the Unspeakable by Allan et al., one realizes how quiet a person must stay when comes to their sexuality. In the article, an experiment is made to see what children do and react when they are exposed to LGBT (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) scenarios in school. Primary school is known to be a safe / innocent, and if one involves or says anything about LGBT it's taboo. I thought it was a really good idea how the teacher explained to the students via Cinderella about the topic. Fairytales and Disney Princess' are what children look up to during this age, doing so made it more easily relatable and focused their attention on something that they are interested in. Teachers must be able to talk about themselves, situations, and feeling before children do so too.
I feel as though children should be learning and exposed to LGBT topics. The duty of school is to prepare children to live in a diverse society. We are now living in an era where LGBT is more acceptable. Children may have parents who are gay and not talking about it may make them feel weird or lonely. Children may also want to become friends with other kids who's parents are gay too. Being in school is to learn about new things and to become educated. As a child I remember one day being at Goddark Park here in RI, and seeing a women who looked and dressed like a man. I asked my mother why and she explain that that was how she like to dress. Months after that, she began explaining to me that I may one day see boys kissing boys vice versa. That everybody has the right to love who every they want, that I one day may love a boy who is white or a boy who has darker skin then me, no matter who I love she would still love me the most.
An article that I could relate this to was Privilege, Power and Difference. We need to change the way we think. By changing the way we think we can change how we act. And who wouldn't want a world full of peace and love? People should be able to do whatever they please without having to worry if their love for someone makes a random person disgusting. And we need to start all of this by teaching our kids that everyone can love who they please, nothing's wrong with that!
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-your-child-needs-know-about-sex-and-when/201112/teaching-your-young-child-about-homosexual

You made an excellent point, that our society today is much more open about the LGBT communities and I think that is wonderful. I also think there are many more steps that need to be taken, like the legality of marriage but the first step is to open children up about the issues because they are our future leaders.
ReplyDeleteI think you made an excellent point about how school is supposed to prepare children for the world and their lives after school. The world today is much different than it used to and educating students in all aspects is important. You made a great connection to your personal experience and the conversation you had with your mom. Unfortunately not all people are as accepting in our world today.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that LGBT should be taught in schools! The more children learn about diversity and LGBT the more they will understand and be prepared for the real world.
ReplyDeletegreat insights! i also really liked your picture you posted of the family. It shows men holding hands and women holding hands and still have families.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. We should make students aware of what it is to be LGBT so that they are prepared for the world. So that they don't seem ignorant and intolerable when they come across it.
ReplyDeleteBack in the day when I was a student in high-school everyone was on the fence about LGBT but it is starting to make headway as teachers are more open. I've seen it at CCRI and RIC so far.
ReplyDeleteI agree 100%. I think that children should be educated on LGBT. In order to make a more accepting generation we have to start getting rid of fears about these sort of topics. I understand why parents might be reluctant to have their children learning this, because it's something that hasn't been done before, it's new! Great reflection!
ReplyDelete