Friday, November 21, 2014

Citizenship in School: Reflection

In Citizenship in School: Re conceptualizing Down Syndrome by Christopher Kliewer, talks about some very eye opening things. At the beginning Kliewer talks about a child who is special needs and what goes on. When the teacher incorporates Where The Wild Things Are into her lesson plan I was very intrigued. There is a line that really hit me in one of the very first few pages when Kliewer talks about the teacher of the classroom. He says, "Shayne felt that she broadened and strengthened the learning opportunities opened to all her children."

When reading this article, I personally felt as though I could easily connect. For my service learning project, I am in a classroom with special education students. I have seen them on their good and rough days, but at the end of the day they are the sweetest kids you will ever meet. When I was reading some of the situations I thought of my day last week. One of the kids was having a rough day and he kept throwing pencils, crayons and lastly his shoe at one of the other volunteers. It was tough to be in the room and witness it but we later corrected the situation and he went in the "thinking seat". The thinking seat was something my teacher thought of and when they are in there they have to think about what they have done and apologize directly to the person they did it to. Just like Vicky on her blog, I related it to the Silence Dialog as well! I just think it's crazy that some children will never really have their voices heard. Every child has a mind and with that mind they have a great imput and thoughts.

Personally this article in relation to my service learning has open my eyes so much. Never in a million years did I think I wanted to work with younger children. I initially thought of middle and high school aged students but know I really enjoy working with kids in elementary school. The great thing about being an Art Education major is the fact that I am K-12! How cool is that?! Being able to any of them.

thoughts: Have any other students have siblings or someone close to that they know with a disability? Do you feel as though the have been or seen things differently?

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you noticed how I related it to the Silenced Dialogue haha I'm really glad you thought of the same thing. Although I'm not working with special education children now I do intend to and it's awesome to hear your experiences in the classroom. I wish you would share more in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you connected the reading to your service learning! I could also connect this text to the silenced dialogue. It is a shame that these children are silenced when it comes to their education, all based on what the education system "thinks" they are capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really interesting the methods used in your special education class for your service learning project! I don't have any family members with special needs, but I had a friend in high school who I had known for a while when she casually mentioned to me that she has Asperger's. I was really surprised, because she fit in with everyone else in our class and was very smart and had a really high gpa, I don't think the word "disabled" is the right word to describe people who have diagnoses like Down's Syndrome and Autism

    ReplyDelete
  4. i enjoyed reading your blog as always, i like the questions you brought up at the end. Since I have worked with down syndrome kids I have realized that they are just like everybody else. Nothing can stop them because they are just so determined to achieve their goals. It makes me feel like I am more motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the questions you posed at the end of your blog because, I personally don't have any family members with disabilities, but I wonder how those who do feel about this issue that has been debated for so long. Not even a family member, I wonder how the students themselves feel when they are not included in the entire classroom, or have to go to a separate room. Very interesting to think about. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I myself have a friend with a disability and I would not have not have met him if we were at my old high school. It's a shame that kids are separated just for who they are, just because they were born differently.

    ReplyDelete