Monday, November 24, 2014

Education Is Politics : Reflection

In Education Is Politics by Ira Shor, he talks about how we can and must empower students
by not only engaging ourselves but also by encouraging students themselves to ask questions about pedagogy, for them to be curious as to why education pretends to be non-political when in reality it actually is.

The education system tends to shape student's knowledge and behavior. This doesn't allow students judge the social issues that affect their learning and lives. Why does the system do these things? What good does this even cause? In reality all it is doing is creating molds or "robots" for this society. I understand that in someway students should be taught how to behave and so forth, be quiet when someone is talking, wait your turn, how to act with a group of people, etc. But why is it that we are teaching these children that their creativity is nothing? Awareness in students can help them in the future society of overcoming the political "status quo".

The moment I began reading this article I thought of the TED video we saw in class awhile ago. In the TED talk Ken Robinson talks about how the system wants the ideal man or women. Also, creativity is as important as literacy in the educational system. I believe this is so true, as future art educator I feel as all students need any sort of art, not just painting or drawing but music and cooking in their lives. Children are not suppose to be sitting in a chair for the majority of the day, without movement how is the blood suppose to go everywhere? Have teachers ever thought that sometimes a little music in the background while students are working on something might have a little help or impute on them being able to focus. Perhaps a student is a dancer and cannot keep still just like Mr. Robinson brought up during his talk, and enrolling them in a dance school is the best thing to do.

Thoughts:
Do students have a say in all of this?
Or does this only happen once they are in college, graduate and being educations that things can change?
 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love your take on creativity. I have always thought that student's who are very successful in terms of school standards are merely the students who followed directions the best. Historically, people who create positive change and revolutionary ideas are the ones who are creative, different, and break the rules. Creativity allows us to explore our own as well as other's minds, to find out what our strengths and interests are and how we can use those strengths and interests to benefit the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that creativity should be celebrated in the classroom, and not frowned upon. It is sad that children are expected to be little "robots" and then they lose that creative energy which helps them to learn and grow. The education system, seems more like an industry, then a place to help students learn and figure out who they are and how to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked the part where you mentioned students need some sort of art because I definitely agree I shared a ted talk video about that in my blog. students shouldnt be sitting in their chairs all day they need to learn other skills
    Really good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creativity is always suppressed when someone is forced to act a certain. You explain this in great detail. Great job!

    ReplyDelete