I believe that he is telling the truth. A line that stood out to me was when he was talking about how the principle or either the teacher would walk by his classroom very slowly and observe what his classroom, and he were doing. My favorite thing he said in that statement was, "What can be to our students." Finn believed in their potential, he believed that they were betters ways then being locked in a strict system of rules on how to teach and how the children should behave. This is so true, throughout my life the majority of my teachers teaching styles have been the same. Only a select few have been very different. This goes as well to students. Not every student is the same. Each one has their own pace as they learn, and some learn quicker or slower than others.
I could easily relate this to the Indian Father's Plea reading we did. The teacher underestimated Wind wolf and his father was upset that the school system was calling his child "slow." Things like that are heartbreaking. Imagine being the parent of a child and finding out/ receiving a call/note saying that they think your child in mentally behind in school compared to the other children.
Thoughts:
What can we do to help students learn better?
How can teachers teach better?
Why do teachers teach by the rules nowadays?
What caused this phenomenon?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc This made me very happy.

I like how you related this to the indians fathers plea because I thought the same thing. I think its crazy how a teacher can underestimate a child and not give them any credit or motivation to work harder
ReplyDeleteI didn't think of the Indian Father's Plea! I related it to Becoming Something Different and Will It Help The Sheep? But I can now see how much it relates to the Indian Father's Plea. I thought this article was interesting as well
ReplyDeleteI liked your thoughts and questions at the end! I also liked the quote at the end of your blog, and I agree with you that the teaching styles have always stayed the same and that needs to change.
ReplyDeleteNice! The indian father's plea is a great reference! I thought of Will it help the Sheep? myself.
ReplyDelete